Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Thinking Ecologically

For the last couple of years I have been going green in my thinking. I've been spending a bit more time thinking through my purchases and evaluating my decision and their ecological impact.

This summer I have decided the brave the heat. By not turning on the A/C not only will it cut down our hydro bill, but it will help the environment in a minute way.

My house has been mostly converted to CFL (compact fluorescent lights)or regular fluorescent (there is only 2 chandeliers that still have the old bulbs...in due time they will be replaced as well). They use less energy and last a lot longer. We send anything that can be recycled to the blue or black bin. We will soon have our composter ready to start composting. (our backyard is going through an overhaul, so the composter still does have a home)
Hopefully, by Saturday, my rain barrels will start collecting our precipitation. That way I don't need to use refined water to fill my pool. The rain water can also be used to water the plants that we have around the yard.

I keep investigating different options on living a greener life. This is not something I expected myself to do. Years ago, I wouldn't have been bothered with the planet, landfills and so on.
Now when I see how things are deteriorating, I want to do my part so that my kids and grand-kids and great-grand-kids have fresh air to breath.

Tomorrow Starts Today.

No comments: