Thursday, June 12, 2008

Green Bins Coming Soon to Ottawa

Looks like the city is going to force people to compost. Instead of getting people to compost their own organic material, they are going to start collecting it. I'm not sure that I would like to be the one working on that pickup run. Mind you I wouldn't appreciate picking up any trash, but decomposing foods can leave you with an unpleasant odor.

What will force people to use the green boxes is that the city will only pickup regular garbage every 2 weeks. So if you don't want your trash to smell, you better put everything that you can in the green bin.

I think the achilles heal in the 2 week garbage pickup is smelly diapers. My kids have been out of diapers so that aspect will not be a factor for my home. But I have heard of people complaining about this during the pilot program.

I, for one, would prefer to keep my organic material and compost it myself. Then the compost can be used to nourish the flower beds and lawn.

No comments: