Wednesday, July 23, 2008

And Now....off the market

I emailed a few of my consulting contacts. Right away the response was, we have opportunities for you. Many of them looked good. But I ended up closing it all down this afternoon by accepting a Contract at EDC with LeverageTek. I've worked at EDC for 3.5 years, I left EDC just over 3 years ago. I left them with a positive enough memory that they hired me almost as soon as they saw my resume. No interview, no meeting, just on my reputation. A good reputation is always a good thing to have, and making sure that you don't burn your bridges is another important thing.

LeverageTek is a company that I wanted to work with. When I met with them a few months ago I was impressed all around. The guys there are moving in the same direction that I have been moving in myself for the last few years. They are trying to get themselves established as a "Green" company. So we hit is off really well when that came out.

So after spending more time on my cell phone in the last 2 days then I have in the previous I don't know how many months... I have a great contract...downtown.

The sad thing too is that the Alcatel gig was pretty much finalized today as well. Now that both places are offering me the same rate, Alcatel, I probably would have started on Monday the 28th of July. With EDC we are looking at a start of August 5th. August 5th is perfect, it gives me a week off when the kids are away at my parents. Michelle is very happy about that. Also, EDC is giving me 12 months. Alcatel works on 3 months at a time. I'm pretty sure that I probably could have been there for a full year as well, but I wasn't sure how quickly the renewals would go through.