Tuesday, July 15, 2008

2 Weeks and Counting

It's been over 15 days since I worked my last day at Environment Canada. I was under the impression that would just walk onto my next contract. But I have been experiencing some delays. I have enjoyed spending a few weeks off in the summer. There was (and still is) plenty of yard work to do. Swimming with the kids and taking them to their swimming lessons everyday has also been a blast.

It's been 10 years since I have been able to take 2 solid weeks off of work during the summer. Last year I changed my schedule to 6AM to noon which was a great as well, but in the long run it left me tired, I am very grateful that Rick at Innovapost permitted me to do that, but I'm not sure if I would do it again. Next year, if all goes well, I'd like to take 2 months off. We'll have to see.

But right now, I am anxious to get back to work. I can't wait to get into some problem solving again. It is just around the corner now. I can feel it, but I just can't quite get a hold of it yet.

4 comments:

One of Freedom said...

Being on the beach can be stressful. Do you have something lined up or are you still looking for a contract?

Steve said...

I'm waiting for a signature from someone in France. I have a contract lined up with Alcatel. I didn't mind playing the waiting game when it was going to be 1 week. But now we are starting week 4. At this point, I'll take whatever contract comes my way.
I realize that I gave them my word and that I wanted the contract with them, but this is getting ridiculous. I was planning on taking some time off this summer, but I had my mind set on August and perhaps a few days in September, but now, I'll have to make these days my holidays.

One of Freedom said...

That was one of my big frustrations with consulting. When you are working it is great, head down moving forward. But in between contracts is often so unpredictable. I think if I had been a better sales person of my services I would have done better. But I'm quite happy to leave that behind. Of course I'm about to re-enter that fray as I start looking for courses to teach.

Steve said...

I don't think frustrating would be the right word to describe this situation. I think annoyed would be a better word. I have never dealt with a large company like this where decisions need to be approved in 3 countries. First Canada here in Kanata, then New Jersey and then ultimately in France. It is far more bureaucracy then most goverment contrat that I have ever had. Genereally speaking the stakeholders have autonomy in the contracting process. They find someone they like they give them the contract. Sure there may be rules that they have to follow surrounding the terms of the contract, length, etc... but they have the "power" to do what they need to do. In this case, everything being wrapped all the way back to France causes such a disconnect between the person signing off, the people needing help with their project and the contractor being hired.

As of this week, I am back on the market, bad time of year, but I can't wait for this VP in France to find his pen.