Friday, November 23, 2007

Winter Tires

I got my winter tires onto my car last night. When I bought the car it came with 2 sets of tires. So I didn't have to go out and buy winter tires. However, I hadn't gotten the winter tires on. I drove for 2 days with my "all season" tires. They got me around fine. I'd spin when I started moving and stopping, well.. that required a little more skill. With the "all season" tires, breaking quickly would send the car in a tailspin. I was amazed at the difference in traction that the winter tires made.

I read a few articles about tires. Basically, the concept of an "all season" tire is bogus. All season tires were created to appease the car manufacturers in order to appeal to consumers. But in the end, they ended up being summer tires with a little more thread, that really don't work well in the winter.

If you don't have winter tires, I recommend that you get some. They do not exagerate when they say that you get 30% more traction. If you find buying winter tires a little price, you can always get some used ones. My father-in-law got 4 winter tires on steele rims for only $300.00 and they were practically brand new. The previous owner said that he only put about 8-900 Km on them.

Don't skimp out on this one, it is for your safety and your family's safety.

No comments: