Wednesday, November 21, 2007

First Snow.

Today was the first (real) snow fall of the year. The drive in this morning was interesting. I was lucky enough to not be delayed by any accidents. Mind you a plow had broken down in the middle lane of Innes Rd just in front of Rona. That cause a slight delay but nothing to be too concerned about. I found that the Queensway moved along fairly well.
I've been in Ottawa for 15 years now. I know what to expect. Keeping yourself relaxed and not rushing is key on this dreaded first snow day. Actually, this applies for any day that snow is accumulating. There is a lot of wisdom in taking it easy.

I am still riding on my summer tires. I meant to change to my winter tires, but life has been getting in the way. This morning, the drive was ok, where the raod was salted I had plenty of traction, but the last mile into work was on an unplowed road,
I drove slowly, knowing that the traction wasn't that great. All was well, until I got to my turn off, I slowed down a little too quickly and I went for a tailspin. It was quite fun actually. I knew that there was no danger of hitting anything, the person following me was quite far and no one was coming in the opposite direction. It would have been more of a risk to try to stop it. I wasn't going fast so I wasn't worried.

On the weekend, while I was busy helping out for my daughter's b-day party, my father-in-law changed the tires on his car. When he was done he put his summer tires in the back shed. I guess to make more room in the garage, he thought that he would put my tires back there too. I just bought my commuter car and it came with a set of winter tires. I had just left them in the garage so that they would be convenient for when I wanted to take them to my mechanic to sawp them out. Well, now I guess, I'll have to dig them out of the shed.

No comments: