Wednesday, March 21, 2007

March Break Trip

Since the kids were off for March Break. I took a Thursday and Friday off, to give a long weekend, and we went up north to visit the family. We spent a few days at my parent's. Hung out with my baby sister and her guy. It was great to see Samantha using her French to communicate with my parents. David still has difficulties in that department. His most common responses are "What does that mean" or "I don't understand French". In due time he too will be fluent. It was a great time to relax with the family. I really like being up there. Every visit leaves me pondering ways to make a living in the quiet community.
Saturday, we had lunch back up the Jeep and drove to Timmins. The first time we'd been there as a family. It was interesting to trek into Shania Land. Everywhere you go there is a Shrine to the Country singer. They are very proud of her there. My sister, the oldest of the 2, moved her family there last September. I had been there with her to look at the house when they bought. But the rest of the family had not. It was a long drive. 2.5 hours north of New Liskeard. The furtest we had ever been with the family. I had worked in Timmins for a summer when I was 18. Being there brought back alot of memories.
My niece (14) is really not happy about being there. She just entered high school and feels that she is being plucked away from her friends. Time will play out and she will realize that it was a good move. My brother-in-law had been working there for over a year before the family moved as well. For a while he was travelling back every weekend, renting a little bachelor apartment. I was hard on everybody to be away so much of the time.
I think that my sister did the right thing by moving there. I just wish that it would have been somewhere closer to Ottawa. But you got go where the work is I guess. My sister sacrificed a satisfying job, a job she loved, to be with her husband and keep the family together.
The drive back on Sunday was long. We left Timmins at 11:00 am. Stopped for a quick lunch. They drove with the minimal potty breaks and got home at 8:00pm.
The family was good at that point. But I unload the Jeep, got back in and went to pick up Bernie (dog). That took up the better part of an hour.
Long and Tiring trip, but in the end worth it. It's good to see family.

No comments: