Monday, February 05, 2007

Weekend at the Cottage

There is nothing like taking a break from winter to enjoy winter. I spent the weekend at the cottage with my brother, father-in-law and 2 brothers-in-law. To tell you the truth, we didn't do much while we were there. We did a little bit of walking outside, enjoying the winter scenery. Much of our time was spent indoors watching movies and having a few drinks. It's a tradition that started years ago.
My father-in-law loves to show off is culinary skills, using nothing but the wood oven all weekend. We had the best breakfast, that any restaurant could offer, every morning. A delicious roast beef marinaded in a peppercorn/ranch and red wine gravy. We always eat well when we are at the cottage.
I've always found it to be a great time to bound with the guys in the family. Of course, with my little brother there, there is always a bit of wrestling that takes place. Ahh, now that's male bonding at it's best.

Lately, I've been finding it more difficult to get away like that. I find that I end up missing my kids and my wife. No matter how much fun I have with the boys, my family is my center. It is difficult to be away from them. It is all the more rewarding when I come back. I get to see the smiles on their faces and the joy at seeing me again and as a father and husband, there is no greater reward.

My desire is that I can one day bring my children to weekend winter getaways to the cottage. Hopefully, Gerry (Michelle's uncle) will keep the cottage and continue to offer it to us even as time goes by. Gerry is extremely charitable with his cottage and for that I am extremely greatful.

No comments: